Sunday, June 1, 2014

Health Update

I was exposed to CMV (cytomegalovirus) 5-7-14 while seeing a patient at work. This virus is part of the herpes family, is relatively common and usually not a threat for normal healthy people. It is a threat for infants (Kate) and immunocompromised people. I wasn't aware I should have avoided this, it wasn't on my radar...I had blood work done the next day and waited a week for results that showed I had antibodies and there was an acute infection within the last year.

So they had to run another test (avidity) to see how recent the infection is which took 2 weeks (AKA forever)...the biggest threat is if this is the primary exposure and in the 1st trimester. We think I've been exposed previously because I already had the antibodies...however, the avidity test came back at intermediate levels...so we don't really what this means. To be honest, after the nurse told me it wasn't all clear, I pretty much stopped processing information. She said something about primary vs. reactivated and timing of exposure, but I don't remember. What happens next is I start going to a "High Risk OB" to do more testing and following of the course. The lady that coordinates that switch will hopefully call me Monday to get it set up and for peace and answers, I hope I get in soon.

The risk for Kate is hearing and vision loss, developmental delays, fetal growth issues, calcifications in different organs, mental retardation, seizures, and other things...there is no risk for me. Again, from what I understand, the worst scenario would be that this is a primary infection and/or I was/she was exposed in the early stages of development. I think they can see some things on a sonogram and can also tell in a certain window of time through an amniocentesis. The good news is the chance of Kate being truly infected are about 30-40% in a primary infection situation, and much less if it's just a reactivation...but any risk at all is more than this Mommy is ok with...and even then, the chances of her being affected are even lower, so the numbers are in our favor, unfortunately, my emotions and thoughts are having a hard time seeing that part...

So, onto Matthew. We had scheduled a follow up CT scan, but insurance was dragging their feet on approval, so we pushed the appointment back. In the meantime, Dr. Lovett (general surgeon that we've followed up with) found the GI doctor he wanted to coordinate the surgery with b/c he wanted a laparoscopic approach for a smaller incision and he isn't "the best" at that, so was kind enough to find someone who does. Matthew found out Friday that this has been coordinated and we are to meet with this Dr. - Dr. Lori Gordon - on Tuesday morning. Matthew texts me this at work, along with her address, which is in the hospital district. I'm on the GI surgery floor when I get this info and randomly ask a nurse walking by if they know Dr. Gordon (she's in the hospital district, probably works for Harris since Lovett does, and I'm here, so why not?!). She says, "Yes...she's right there." I turn around and Dr. Gordon says "I'm Dr. Gordon."...a little shocked, I say nothing while she finishes her conversation with another nurse and then she asks me what I need. I tell her I just found out she's going to do my husband's surgery...a patient of Dr. Lovett with perforated diverticulitis...she says, "Oh, you must be Mrs. Palmer."..."Yes! I am!" - amazed she would remember the name. She says, "Great, I'll see you next week!" There was a bit more, but you get the point! As soon as she leaves, the MA at the desk turns to me and tells me how great of a Dr she is and that all her patients really love her! What a wonderful God moment! The chances of me working on that floor are rather low randomly, and to be in the same place as the Dr right when I find out the info...well, it was more than coincidence!

So, that's where we are for now. Sorry for the novel, but I can't really get through the conversation without crying, but wanted to keep everyone up to date on our situation, so there you go!

Prayers are appreciated of course! And I'm sure I'll stop crying about it all of this at some point...

No comments:

Post a Comment