Monday, July 2, 2012

Seriously, I can't believe we are a month away from 1 year!



I'm sure I felt this way with Drew at this point, but I am so happy and excited about their birthdays coming up, but I can't believe I don't have a baby any more! How in the world did that happen so fast?! Matthew and I were talking about it the other day and both noted how quickly time has gone...Matthew's thought was "Do you think it's because we can't remember as much anymore?!" I whole-heartedly agree, and I think we can't remember as much because we are so tired! :) Still worth it, I guess it brings more meaning to being/living in the moment - that is our only chance, because our memory won't even let us try to re-live it! :)


Let's start with Drew..."WHY?!" Why, because he asks "Why?" all the time now! So, we are now in that phase...how long does it last?! He is so inquisitive, and talking ALL the time, and bringing himself into adult conversations if he hasn't been addressed in too long (which is usually about 2 minutes!). Often he just repeats the last thing that he heard, which is so funny to hear basically a 'replay' button pushed every now and then! Hilariously, he's also turning our phrases back on us lately, so he'll tell us something and end with "Do you understand?!" One day he told me, "Ok Mommy, here's the deal..." Cracks me up every time! He continues to have conversations amongst his toys, usually his animals, and more often than not, they are talking about good vs. bad behavior...hmm, wonder why that is?!


Drew moved up to the 3 year old class at the beginning of this month with the rest of his class and he's enjoying the new environment and toys. The classroom is also right next to the bathroom - so there is lots of pressure for potty training, but we are dragging our feet...we are happy to take him when he agrees, but he's not ready for 100% underwear, but we are fine with the extra practice! He's just not a child to be pushed into anything, let alone something like this!


Lots of visitor and/or playdates this month - a new friend at school lives just down the street from us, so that's fun, though it was hard to share toys with a new friend. We got to spend some time with cousins Luke and Jacob - we wanted a Big Brother/Little Brother picture of all of them - Noah wasn't being very cooperative - he just wanted to crawl and explore the new environment! We also had a great time at a friend's house that has a pool - a fun time with friends we hadn't seen in awhile, and Drew LOVED the pool!



We had some yard work done this month, requiring lots of sand to have our front yard leveled. Well, the weather interfered, delaying when they could spread it, but Drew LOVED it! The first day he said "I KNOW that I NEED to play on the sand, I KNOW I love it so much!" Crack me up! So he had three or four days of playing on the huge mound of sand - good times!


So a few months back we bought Drew an orange jersey to be like his Daddy for soccer - well, he was elated! Then Matthew had the #3 placed on the back - his face lit up even more! He just loves to be like his Daddy! I can't tell you how many times we've heard him say "When I get older, I play soccer like Daddy!" He wants to play so bad, and he asks all the time to go to Daddy's soccer games - sadly they are almost always during the boys afternoon naps on Sunday, so there aren't many opportunities so far...but I have a sneaky suspicion that we will all get our fill of soccer games in the near future!


Drew and Noah had an afternoon where we got the tunnel out and they played SO WELL together - chasing each other, playing hide and seek, and just having fun! I was completely in the background just watching them scream with delight and their faces light up when they saw each other! I loved it! There are starting to be more and more moments like these lately, which absolutely warms my heart! I love that these boys love each other so much!


Noah is really on the move these days. I mentioned in the last post that while he can crawl all over the place, he really wants to walk...well, that's even more the case these days. And he is persistent. If you are near and he wants to walk, he will crawl over, search and find a hand and then find the other, even if you are hiding them (yes, I've tried, I know, bad Mommy!), and then off you both go, searching everywhere, walking in circles, whatever, as long as he's walking! And it's really cute that almost every time he gets up and you walk with him, he laughs a little bit, kind of like he's excited about it and that he got you to do it again! Such a cutie! He also knows where he wants to go - he's quite good at steering us around, and if we try to persuade him other wise by tugging one direction, if that's not where he wants to go, he will fight with every ounce in him, and plant his feet - making it VERY obvious what he does and does not want. Hmm, I wonder if he'll be that certain with everything?!


He is all about getting up on his feet - he pulls up on anything and everything! He even quickly learned how to pull up onto the first step of the stairs by pulling up on the gate - oh boy! That's my least favorite. There was one week early on in the month where he fell and got a big scratch or bump somewhere every day. By the end of the week, he had a black eye, a large bump on one cheek, a scratch on his nose, a carpet burn on his chin, and a cut lip...knock on wood, it's been much better since then!


Oh, so here's something funny and pitiful...so Noah loves to move, right, already established that. And we know he is capable of rolling, but he rarely remembers that he has this ability. If he somehow gets plopped onto his belly while crawling around, he would just wail until we saved him and sat him back in sitting so he could crawl again. Well, finally this month he's figured out how to pull his knee and foot under him - thank goodness! Sometimes he still whimpers and pauses before he remembers he can do it on his own. However, he is still like a turtle flipped over when he's on his back - he can not remember how to roll over onto his belly to get back up. He truly just cries until we help him. Believe me, we give him a chance to figure it out, and then we try to encourage him to roll, but so far, it is a no go - what a mess!


He still loves the outside. There was one evening where Daddy and Drew went outside to play and Mommy and Noah were staying inside, or so I thought. Noah crawled over to the back door (it has a full length window), pulled up to stand and just cried and whimpered until I gave in and followed the boys outside. Once there, nothing stopped him. Drew didn't like walking or crawling in the grass when he was this age. Thankfully, Noah does not seem to be slowed down one bit, he just kept on going, without much of a pause at all - I'm hoping this is a good sign for overall ability to handle some things better than Drew did :)


Noah has had some fun outside in the water as well. He has enjoyed splashing around in his little pool, and even got to play in the first Splash Day at school this summer - and he loved it! He enjoyed our friends pool as well, though it took him a little bit to figure out what was going on. He has also enjoyed playing in the kitchen cabinets - yup, he found the ones that open to tupperware heaven, along with some mixing bowls that are perfectly noisy! He will often try to open a door that is locked and gets quite upset about it, so we have to re-direct him back to the few that open. He also really likes to play with normal room doors - that always worries me - I hear my Dad in my head every time I say it "Do no play with doors!"


He got his 8th tooth this month, completing the front teeth series. And I keep looking for molars - he is drooling quite a bit off and on, and on those same days, has his hand in his mouth, and biting on things - they are moving at least, just waiting for them to pop through.


He's eating lots more finger foods, even to the point where he can eat some of the foods the rest of us eat at dinner. If you haven't ever had children, you will not fully understand what a huge step this is - getting back to the stage where we only have to make one meal at mealtime is HUGE! We can not wait! It also makes being able to go out to eat so much easier - we can actually be slightly spontaneous if we want to because we don't have to cart around a full meal for Noah...AHH, that will be so nice again!


Noah started making a funny laughing noise this month. It's hard to explain, but my best description I've come up with so far is that it's kind of like the noise you make when you clear your throat, or like a machine gun - real choppy sounding - "eh - eh - eh - eh - eh - eh"! Anyways, just trust me on this one - it's funny!



So, next time I write, I'll have 2 red-headed boy toddlers no doubt! My how the time does fly! We are SO blessed, these boys wear us out, but bring us more joy and love than we could ever imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment